Sunday, October 01, 2006
So yesterday I was at the Oktoberfest all day. I didn't know really what to expect except lots of tourists, people dressed in traditional German outfits, and lots of beer. This idea wasn't completely run, but let me explain how the experience really was. As I was walking down the street towards the main entrance of the event, I saw many people passed out on the side of the road. I found this quite hilarious, but soon found that people were passed out everywhere. There wasn't one street where there wasn't someone on the ground passed out from alcohol. We finally came to a tent where there are hundreds of tables where people, strange and familiar, sit around and drink beer until they can't consume anymore. The group I was with, which was 6 people including myself, walked around for awhile, getting pushed in the back and beer spilled on, for about 30 minutes when we gave up on looking for a table. There were so many people there, that it was impossible to find room to even stand and not get pushed. So we decided to take our liter of beer and go outside and sit somewhere. We ended up seating across this hill where it was covered by people either sitting or sleeping. As we were consuming our first beer, we were soon fortunate enough to be accompanied by a few guys from Amsterdam. They were hilarious to talk to. This one guy was talking about German girls and how they don't shave their armpits for about 15 minutes. Sean and I decided to leave the group afterawhile to get another beer and see if we could find anyone else from our Erasmus group. As we were waiting for our beer, we learned that the waiters and waitresses were quite strong and forceful. They would carry about 10-15 liter mugs at one time filled with beer, and ram them in your bag until you got out of the way. They would yell 'vorsicht' and you knew to get out of the way. It was a surprise the first time when I got beer rammed in my back, but soon it became pretty funny; Sean and I just started yelling 'vorsicht' whenever we saw a waiter or waitress. We did end up finding some other students, who didn't look like they were having much fun. You really have to like crowds and drunken people if you want to attend Oktoberfest. Sean and I finally went back to our original group and we decided to leave the festival and just walk around Munich. Munich is so big! I definitely would like to go back to visit the city another time! Basically how I feel about Oktoberfest, I have seen it, done it, and tasted it. I don't plan on ever going back, but I am glad that I was able to experience part of this well-known festival.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment