Sunday, October 29, 2006

Glueckliche Tage

October 29, 2006




This evening, I have just returned from seeing the play Glueckliche Tage. The play is based off of the works of Irish writer Samuel Beckett. Before I give you my opinion, keep in mind that Beckett is an abstract writer. I appreciate the uniqueness of the play and the talent of the two Schauspielers. Yes, there was only two! There wasn't much movement in the play or acting. It was more speaking through different melodies of language and facial expressions. The girl was stuck in mound of dirt the entire play. The first half, you were able to see her upper body; but the second half she was buried up to her head. The guy had a very 'unusual' role. He was facing away from the audience on the other side of the mound of dirt. The first half, you could only see the back of his head; by the second half, he was able to walk around, but he only climbed up the mound of dirt and stayed in one position the entire time. I couldn't really give you a plot summary of the play, because there wasn't one! There wasn't even an ending!


Personally, this play did not appeal to my interests. I like a little more acting and having an actual plot. Don't let my opinion stop you from seeing this play if you have the chance. Afterall, it began in NY! I have once before seen a play like this, and I have learned to keep an open mind when viewing plays. When one does this, you can see the unique talents and creativity of writers.


No comments: