Sunday, October 01, 2006
My way to Germany was an adventure, and I hate to admit it, but I was almost ready to take the next flight home. To begin with, when I arrived at the O'Hare airport, I learned that my flight was overbooked. Fortunately, the airline worked with me, and I was upgraded to business class. I was really gracious until I arrived in Frankfurt. After finding my way through the airport and going through all the security, I was told that I couldn't get on the flight even though they had me in their computer system. Unfortunately, when I was upgraded to business class in O'Hare airport, they took all my paper tickets and did not return my connecting flight ticket. I was really upset, because I had the same connecting flight as two of my friends, and we were suppose to take the trains and taxis together to Bamberg. I was now all on my own...and I had no idea where my luggage was. So I went back to the airline I arrived on and spoke with the representative. He was very rude and not very helpful the first time I spoke to him. After running around the airport for about three hours, I was told that my luggage was found and I would have to wait another hour for it. I must say, if my luggage was missing...I would have gone back home. So then I get my luggage and decide to take the train, because the flight was about 277 Euro and the train was only 67 Euro. NEVER AGAIN. I had to take two trains to get to Bamberg, and I had with me two 70 pound bags, my backpack, volleyball bag, and my winter jacket. People were helpful with helping me lift my luggage on and off the train, but I broke a few finger nails and toe nails. I was a mess! I finally arrived in Bamberg at about 10p.m. I was suppose to arrive at 1p.m. by the way. I had no idea where I was going to stay. I was suppose to pick up my key before 6p.m., and after talking to some people, I realized that I had a really slim chance of getting a hotel room with it being tourist's season in Bamberg. Fortunately, my taxi driver was really helpful and had 'some connections.' He had the phone number to my dorm in Bamberg and I was fortunate enough to still get my key. After bringing my luggage to my room, I ran into the familiar faces of my friends! I was so relieved but so ready to crash. I found out that they also encountered many problems on their way to Bamberg. International travel is NOT easy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment