Sunday, October 08, 2006
***Check out my albums...they will be updated ever now and then!
It seems to be that it would have been a good idea to bring my 'boot.' I was walking the other day, and well my clutzy self just rolled my other ankle. It is a little swollen but managable to walk on. Don't worry, i did bring braces and ice packs for this reason. Overall, this week has been really hectic for me. I just finished my Erasmus course, which is a course for international students to help prepare them for German classes. Overall, the course was a success. It focused on grammatics, which I still am poor at. I think I struggle at it so much, because it is so different from the English grammar; but as they say, practice makes perfect! So besides keeping busy with studying for the final exam, I have been walking around town looking for odds and ends for my 'wohnheim.' I am quite dissappointed with the shopping here in Bamberg. I guess coming to Europe I had higher expectations for the style and accessories. However, I think it may just be Germany, or maybe this area, because the Italians and French say shopping sucks here as well. Personally, I think the clothes are way over priced for their quality. Some of the shirts look like someone just threaded some string together and put a price tag on it. Besides clothes shopping, I am also disappointed on finding regular items that one would use in a household. I have been looking everywhere for a long mirror and an area carpet. Obviously they have both of these items, but they aren't the right size or they are too expensive. Currently, I have one spoon, fork, knife, plate, and bowl...and that cost me 12 Euro! It's crazy! I could have gone to Wal-mart or Target and got a pack for $5. This sounds terrible, but I am starting to get adjusted to the high prices and almost expect it.
This week, the regular German students shall be moving in. It shall be interesting to see how Bamberg becomes when it is filled with students, for it is already a busy place. I have already met some German people. They are really nice, but like I was expecting, we always END up talking in English. This is a problem, because I don't want to become too comfortable talking to everyone in English. It especially doesn't help when I hang out with Australians, Irish, English, and American people. On the other hand, it is nice speaking English especially when I have been in class all day speaking and hearing German. It does take a lot of work and energy to learn another language. But the only way I am going to learn is by practicing...this I do know!
It is already starting to get cold here. No more sandal weather and you would be lucky to get by wearing only a sweater and jeans. I am really nervous about the winters here, even though I have experienced the Illinois' winters. From the Bamberg residents, I have heard that you NEED boots and a long jacket. Some people even suggested wearing tights under your pants, because the cold temperature plus the wind is horrific. This might be an exaggeration, but I am still nervous. I especially feel sorry for the people from South Carolina and Georgia, where they are lucky if they have seen snow at all!
I am not going to lie; I have gotten a little bit homesick. I miss my friends and family. I can't just pick up the phone and call YOU! I really do miss my phone. I never realized how attached I was to it...sorry about those high phone bills mom and dad. However, I did invest in a handy here; but even so, I can only call people in Germany, and if I call outside Germany, it is 1 Euro a minute...gah! The best way to get over your little bit of homesickness, is to hang out with people or got out. NEVER just sit it your room! People keep asking me if I could see myself living here; I honestly don't know yet. Give me a little more time, and I will let you know.
This next upcoming week, I will be busy once again, finishing the registration process for both classes and residency. I do think that Bamberg's registration process for school is out-dated. It took me three hours to wait in line just to to have them put me in their computer system and give me my i.d. In the States, we are able to do this registration process online; no line waiting. In Bamberg, there were only two people working behind the desk! Hopefully they work on a more efficient system soon, because supposedly I am going to have to go through this process again next semester.
That is it for now...until later BIS SPATER!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment