Saturday, November 18, 2006

November 18, 2006
This Saturday was an educational day for me. Shawn, Katrina, Angela, and myself went to Nuerenberg, which is about a 45 minute train ride from Bamberg. Before going, I was told that we were going sight-seeing, while Angela returned a pair of jeans. I didn't know what to expect, since I was there once before and did not really think about the history part of Nuerenberg but more of the shopping. As Angela set us off on our way to Dokumentationszentrum Reichsparteitagsgelände (Documentation Centre Party Rally Grounds), I realized something; this was where the famous Nueremberg trials were held. I did an entire presentation on Oskar Schindler and the Nueremberg trials in 8th grade...this made the museum so much more interesting for me.
The Dokumentationszentrum Reichsparteitagsgelaende was very informative over how the parties during WWII came about, and all the history with how Hitler became Germany's fruher. This building was previously built by Hitler and his party as a place to come and relax, as well as discuss future plans. The building was never fully finished and was used as the congress hall and now a museum. Unfortunately, I did not have all the time on my hands to listen to the detailed information about each artifact or information in the museum.
Katrina, Shawn, and I then walked around a dryed out lake. Yes, it was no longer there. It was kind of errie. There was a beach house and dock, but no water?! I still don't understand why that was. Anyways, we made our way around the 'lake' to the party rally grounds. This was where Hitler and his party gathered, as well as onlookers, to hear Hitler's words. This was also the place where parades and marches would take place. Now the municipal stadium has taken over much of the property, but one can still see remains of the structure.
We ended the day with Starbucks! I plan to go back to Nuerenberg to see room 600, where the actual Nueremberg trial took place!

No comments: