November 1-4, 2006On the trip to Vienna, I was joined by Shawn from Georgia, Lieselot from Belgium, and Angela from Canada...yes 'the gang.' We finally arrived in Vienna on Wednesday around 6p.m. Obviously we were tired from the long travel (about 6.5 hours) and did not accomplish much tourist's stuff. Fortunately, Shawn had a friend, nicknamed Yo Yo, who was studying in Vienna. She was a great help in settling us in in our Hostel, as well as showing us the area. After we had Vienna's traditional Wiener Schnitzel and pommes frittes at Mozart's restaurant, we went to Yo Yo's apartment and later to a bar. I felt really bad for being such company, but all I could think about at the time was my bed! I needed to go to sleep, and I am pretty sure the rest of the group felt the same way. So that's what we did...we went to bed!
Thursday was a more eventful day, but we defintiely could have been more productive with out sightseeing. Yo Yo met us in the morning to take us shopping. She noticed right away that I did not have a winter jacket. Being such a motherly person, she insisted that I buy a winter jacket. I needed one, so that's what I ended up doing. The others also bought winter stuff. So shopping took up most of the morning into the early afternoon. Yo Yo then brought us to the famous market in Vienna. Let me tell you, it is NOT a big deal. Basically, it's the usual Doner stands, fruit and veggie stands, and hand-made accessories/clothing items. Yo Yo then left us on our own, while she attended to her own errands. Once we got into the main city, we realized what Vienna was REALLY about. Before, we were in the low key areas of Vienna, so we weren't amazed with Vienna's beauty. In the main city, we visited an old cathedral, which was beautiful like all the cathedrals and churches in Europe. On our way to the Opera House, Wiener Staatsoper, we found a Starbucks!! I swear, everytime I see a Starbucks I leap for joy! I LOVE Starbucks. I definitely miss it! Anyways, obviously we got Starbucks and then went to the Oprea House, when we found out that an actual oprea was going to take place later that night. We were able to wait in line for the standing area of the Oprea House. Fortunately, we were able to get a quality standing area for only 2 Euro. Yah!!! I saw a oprea for only 2 Euro! The oprea was called Rigoletto. It was really good, but had a depressing ending. After standing for three hours, we were all once again ready to sit and call it a night.
Friday was when we really became tourists. We woke up early in the morning to go into the main city. Our first stop was Schoenbrunn palace. It has a fascinating history that you can read at the following site: History. Some basic facts are:*It was built in the Middle Ages.
*It has huge gardens.
*It was considered a summer palace with 1441 rooms.
*Maria Theresia was one of the inhabitants.
*Mozart was only 6 years old, when he use to play for the Empress there.
*The famous Impreial couple Franz Joseph and Sissi were also inhabitants.
*It has huge gardens.
*It was considered a summer palace with 1441 rooms.
*Maria Theresia was one of the inhabitants.
*Mozart was only 6 years old, when he use to play for the Empress there.
*The famous Impreial couple Franz Joseph and Sissi were also inhabitants.
By the time we finished going through the basic tour of 22 rooms, the 'blizzard' began. Lieselot, Angela, and myself were so excited, but Shawn, on the other hand, was not. As soon as he saw the snow, he gave the most terrified look. I wish I had a working camera...it was priceless. All I have to say is thank God I bought the winter jacket, because it ended up snowing on and off for the rest of the day! 
After Schoennbrunn, we went around the ring Boulevard where we saw the rathaus, parliament, Burgtheatre, Hofburg, Haashaus, Karlskirche, and the Spanish riding school. Naturally, all the buildings were beautiful and full of history.
It took us awhile, but we finally found Belvedere Palace. Belvedere Palace was donated in the early 19th century as an art museum and now stores many famous artists' artwork. It was interesting to see how the artwork has changed from the 18th century to the 20th century.
After seeing Belvedere Palace, we went back to our cozy hostile room, where we learned more about eachother. We confided in eachother our deepest fears, embarrassing moments, family situations, etc. After our intimate conversations, we went to one of Vienna's bars. We didn't stay too long but at least we can see we experienced Vienna's night life!
Unfortunately we did not have enough time to visit Vienna's famous cemetary. There lies the famous composers of Goethe, Beethoven, and more. Maybe that will come another time, but until then Bis Spater!
PHOTO ALBUM

After Schoennbrunn, we went around the ring Boulevard where we saw the rathaus, parliament, Burgtheatre, Hofburg, Haashaus, Karlskirche, and the Spanish riding school. Naturally, all the buildings were beautiful and full of history.
It took us awhile, but we finally found Belvedere Palace. Belvedere Palace was donated in the early 19th century as an art museum and now stores many famous artists' artwork. It was interesting to see how the artwork has changed from the 18th century to the 20th century.
After seeing Belvedere Palace, we went back to our cozy hostile room, where we learned more about eachother. We confided in eachother our deepest fears, embarrassing moments, family situations, etc. After our intimate conversations, we went to one of Vienna's bars. We didn't stay too long but at least we can see we experienced Vienna's night life!
Unfortunately we did not have enough time to visit Vienna's famous cemetary. There lies the famous composers of Goethe, Beethoven, and more. Maybe that will come another time, but until then Bis Spater!
PHOTO ALBUM




No comments:
Post a Comment