Jan 2-6, 2007
Shawn and I were very fortunate that Lieselotte and her family opened their home to us. Her family not only let us sleep there but also cooked for us! I experienced the true Belgium lifestyle. Lieselotte resides in a town called Gent, which was beautiful. We spent two days touring Gent, and of course tried some of the beer. I never saw so much beer in my life! They had everything from light to dark and peach to chocolate.
Shawn and I were very fortunate that Lieselotte and her family opened their home to us. Her family not only let us sleep there but also cooked for us! I experienced the true Belgium lifestyle. Lieselotte resides in a town called Gent, which was beautiful. We spent two days touring Gent, and of course tried some of the beer. I never saw so much beer in my life! They had everything from light to dark and peach to chocolate.

Hearing so much about Brugge, we had to visit. Brugge is a beautiful town with picturesque scenery, but I personally liked Gent better. In Gent we visited a castle, where they showed many torture weapons. We als
o saw some churches and cathedrals. We also visited the capital of Belgium, Brussels. I liked Brussels very much. There were gorgeous buildings including the palaces of the present king and princes of Belgium. My favorite building was the justice building, but unfortunately much construction was being done to it. In Belgium, there were so many cathedrals and churches, so we definitely had our fair share of seeing them. You won't believe what I saw...the MADONNA by Michelangelo! Not wanting to constantly intrude upon Lieselotte's family, we intruded her sister's house. There we played the new game unit called Wi! It was fun and very entertaining!
If you ever get the opportunity to visit Belgium, you must try the pommes, chocolate, and beer...it's fabulous!
The most peculiar thing for me in Belgium where the staircases. They were so dangerous! They reminded me of the staircases that you would see in ancient times in castles, but they were marble. Basically they were small spiral staircases with no railing on either side leading up to the upstairs. I was very surprised to see this in homes, but Lieselotte has confirmed that there has never been
a falling!Oh I almost forgot! I was once again very smart while traveling and did not bring an extra pair of contacts. Of course one had to rip so I was left to wearing my glasses the entire time, which doesn't have my updated prescription. Also, it rained everyday but one in Belgium, so my hair looked terrible...beware of pictures! I have learned though that the weather prediction for Belgium is always rain!
Thank you so much Lieselotte and family! I had an amazing time!! I hope to some day return to Belgium. Who knows, rumor has it that Stephen, a friend of my brother, is there. I might just have to drop by!

No comments:
Post a Comment